How can I enroll as an undergraduate at UnB?

People who don’t have Brazilian citizenship can enroll in the undergraduate program at UnB via the Student Program – Undergraduate Convention (PEC-G) or through courtesy enrolment. Click here to find out more about these programs.

Do I need to know Portuguese to study at UnB? Is it necessary to prove that I am proficient in the language?

All undergraduate courses at UnB are taught in Portuguese. Therefore, it is recommended that applicants have a comprehension of the language at university level. Nevertheless, UnB does not generally require proof of proficiency. Only in the case of university entrance through the PEC-G do students from non-member nations of the Community of Portuguese Language Countries (CPLO) need to prove proficiency in the language. The Certificate of Proficiency in the Portuguese Language for Foreigners (CELPE-BRAS) is conferred upon foreigners who perform satisfactorily on a standardized test of Portuguese developed by the Ministry of Education (MEC).
If selected by the PEC-G, candidates from countries where the CELPE-BRAS is not administered will have to take a Portuguese for foreigners course and the CELPE-BRAS exam (just once). For more information regarding the CELPE-BRAS, click here.

Does UnB offer a Portuguese for foreigners course?

UnB offers Portuguese as a foreign language courses through the Portuguese Program of Teaching and Research for Speakers of Other Languages (PEPPFOL). Interested students should, after admittance to UnB, seek out the department offering their course or go to the Department of Foreign Languages and Translation, located at the Department of Linguistics, to enroll free of charge in the courses: Portuguese for Foreigners I and II.
PEPPFOL offers a paid preparatory course for the CELPE-BRAS exam. For more information regarding PEPPFOL, click here.

What type of visa is required for entrance to UnB?

To enroll in UnB as an exchange student in the Student Program – Undergraduate Convention (PEC-G) or Student Program – Graduate Convention (PEC-PG), the applicant must present a student visa (temporary IV). For information regarding visa application and renewal, click here.

Can a foreign student work in Brazil?

The student visa (temporary IV) does not permit remunerative activity.
Is it necessary to pay a fee to study at UnB?
All courses at UnB are free of charge. Most graduate degree programs (stricto sensu) require an application fee, which is defined by each department. For the non-degree graduate courses of study (lato sensu), there is a charge, determined by each department.

Does UnB have agreements with foreign institutions?

See the list of foreign institutions with which UnB has an agreement.
What are the exchange programs at UnB? What is their duration?
UnB offers exchange programs for students at participating international educational institutions. For more information, click here. The maximum duration of the exchange is two semesters.

Does UnB offer any kind of housing assistance?

UnB offers certain limited assistance for housing. Five percent of the places at the University Students’ House are reserved for students who enroll via the Student Program – Undergraduate Convention (PEC-G), with a small fee. Application periods and selection criteria are determined by the Advisory Committee for International Affairs (INT).
There are places for international students participating in the exchange program. Those interested should apply at INT. The apartments offered are shared, and students pay R$ 600.00 per month. However, not all applicants can receive an apartment due to the limited availability.

When I have enrolled at UnB, will there be any kind of monitoring?

Academic monitoring of international students, along with other students in the department, is performed by the course coordinator. For exchange students, the Advisory Committee for International Affairs (INT) has created the Buddy Program, in which UnB students knowledgeable in other languages volunteer to help international students to adapt to campus life. Click here for more information.

How can I get information about scholarships?

Currently, the following programs offer scholarships for international students:
Student Program – Undergraduate Program (PEC-G), Student Program – Graduate Program (PEC-PG), and MARCA (Regional Program of Academic Mobility).

Does UnB require international students to have a certain minimum income?

When enrolling in a program, students must declare that they have sufficient funds in order to support themselves in Brazil. The exception is the Regional Program of Academic Mobility (MARCA), which offers scholarships to all participating students.

How can I access the application forms?

Applications for the Student Program – Undergraduate Convention (PEC-G) should be made at the Brazilian diplomatic mission or consulate in your country of origin. The dates are defined by the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Application forms for exchange students at participating educational institutions are available on the homepage of the Assessoria de Assuntos Internacionais.

May I send the documents and forms by e-mail or fax?

Documents and forms must be sent by mail. However, to speed up the process, they may also be sent by e-mail or fax. Applications sent only by e-mail or fax will not be accepted.

When do classes begin?

Undergraduate and graduate calendars are available at this address.

How can I have access to the Central Library?

After enrolling at UnB, the student will have a student number, which can be used to access the Central Library (BCE) and enjoy the University Restaurant (RU) and other services reserved for university students.

Does UnB accept students transferred from foreign institutions of higher education?

One of the ways of enrolling at UnB as an undergraduate is through optional transfer. This is a way for regular students of either Brazilian or international institutions of higher education to continue their studies in the same or equivalent course, through a selection process aimed at filling up the unused places for undergraduates at UnB.
There are no places reserved for international students, so non-resident students must compete with the other applicants. Tests are administered in Portuguese. To sign up, a student must have an individual taxpayer identification number (CPF), issued by the Federal Revenue Office of Brazil. If selected, the applicant must present a temporary or permanent visa to enroll at the university.


What types of graduate programs are there at UnB?

UnB offers both degree (stricto sensu) and non-degree (lato sensu) programs. Lato sensu postgraduate courses include specialization or continuing education programs, which are regulated by specific resolutions. At the end of the course, the student obtains a certificate. The stricto sensu programs comprise the following:

• Master’s degree programs – aiming at scientific competence and making a contribution to the formation of teachers and researchers;
• Professionalizing Master’s programs – aiming to form competent professionals for the labour market. In a differentiated and flexible manner, they combine teaching activities with applied research. They are self-financing, through agreements or partnerships with governmental or non-governmental bodies;
• Doctoral degree programs – aiming to form high level professionals to act as researchers and/or professors.
Students receive a diploma at the conclusion of the course.

How can I enroll in graduate programs?

Those interested in attending graduate school at the University of Brasilia can sign up for the Student Program – Graduate Studies Convention (PEC-PG), which offers fellowships for Master’s and Doctoral students from countries with which Brazil shares a Cultural and Educational Cooperation Agreement. Click here for more information.
In addition, the graduate programs reserve some places for students with permanent residence abroad. Information regarding the numbers of places and how to apply are specified in each letter of invitation.

How can I obtain information regarding the graduate courses offered at UnB?

All graduate programs offered at UnB are listed at this address. Specific information may be found in each program’s letter of invitation.

To sign up for a graduate program, do I need an undergraduate degree in a related area?

The rules for enrolment in the graduate courses are governed by the selection invitations drawn up by each program. Specific information about candidates’ undergraduate degrees may be found in the program letter of invitation.

How can I revalidate my undergraduate diploma in order to go to graduate school at UnB?

Some graduate programs require that diplomas issued by international institutions be revalidated. Click on the links for information about personal and academic documents and the process of requesting revalidation of undergraduate and graduate international diplomas.

During what periods may I sign up?

Each graduate program states the period of application for its courses in the letter of invitation.

Where are the letters of invitation for graduate selection?

The letters of invitation for all graduate programs are available at this link.

May I enroll in more than one program?

At the University of Brasilia, students may not be enrolled in two stricto sensu graduate programs at the same time.

Campus Universitário Darcy Ribeiro, Brasília - CEP 70910-900 - Telefone Geral (55 61)3107-3300
Copyright © 2008 Universidade de Brasília. Todos os direitos reservados.